Popcorn Shed, is a UK based company who produce delicious gourmet popcorn, perfect for gifting to a loved one (or just snacking on yourself!) and beautifully packaged in a unique ‘shed’ carton.
A huge thank you to Popcorn Shed for gifting me multiple flavours of their popcorn. As some of you may already know, I am a primary school teacher. Through this I run an after school Film Club, which is great for analysis of film and inclusion of all pupils. But on this occasion, we held a popcorn tasting test!
There were 15 children taking part, from ages 6 – 10 and 3 adults. To make it fair, we did a blind taste test. Eachparticipant completed a score of 1-5 for tastiness and then finally ranked them in order of preference. I also included a leading brand ‘sweet popcorn’ for comparison.
It’s safe to say, the children loved this. They want to do it every week, I wonder why…!?
Some flavours were more unusual than others, so we were a little more reluctant to try. For an example, ‘Sweet Cheesus’ is a combination of caramel and red cheddar! It’s not something I would choose in a shop, but surprisingly, they were so tasty I was pleasently surprised by all of the flavours, which by the way, are all gluten free.
Here’s what we had to try:
- Pop ‘N’ Choc – a double whammy of chocolate accompanied by a smooth cocoa-infused caramel base
- Salted Caramel – the perfect combination of intense sea-salted caramel popcorn topped with velvety, creamy Belgian milk chocolate
- Pecan Pie – nutty, buttery, smooth caramel popcorn with added pecans give it a textural sensation and nutty crunch.
- Berry-licious – a magical mixture of fruity tart raspberry and indulgent smooth rich dark chocolate. Share the Love!
- Butterly Nuts – The rich creamy peanut butter Caramel with nutty notesis topped with real peanut halves for an irresistible crunch
- Sweet Cheesus – A premium take on the classic ‘Sweet and Salty’ combo! Indulgent real cheddar cheese and sweet, buttery caramel Gourmet Popcorn.
- Say Cheese – Deliciously rich, ripe and creamy mature cheddar popcorn is. This sharp cheesy flavour is ridiculously addictive and tangy.
The packaging is great, they come in individually packaged ‘snack sized’ portions. Which are fairly generous for a snack size and all under 140 calories. If you want a share size, you can also order a 65g box in your chosen flavour. I’ve also spotted that they’ve recently released a 200g ‘kilner style jar’.
So what were the results?
Interestingly, all of the children voted ‘Pop ‘N’ Choc’ as their favourite. Whereas, the three adults involved all preferred ‘Salted Caramel’ – honestly, I could eat this all day, everyday.
One child absolutely loved the ‘Berry-licious’ that she licked the packaging!
The leading brand wasn’t highly ranked by any child – showing that they preferred exploring the range of tastes from Popcorn Shed. The savoury flavours did rank lower than the sweet, but all were enjoyed by adults and children alike.
I now need to get the Salted Caramel plastic jar for my new home, though the contents might not last long!!